Thursday, October 13, 2005

Hole Hearted

Yeah, so I haven't blogged in a while. My heart just hasn't been in it for a few days.

I went to MI to interview for a job I wanted last year, but failed to get. This year, they were hot on my tail. It's so nice to be wanted, even by a job. All the people were wonderful, the scenery was surreal, everything - minus the flight home - was perfect.

As for the flight home - fuck Delta. Fuck Delta up the ass with a big rubber dick. No wonder they are filing bankruptcy, they treat everyone like shit, including their employees.

I was told that I was the top pick for the job and that I should hear back from them by the end of the week. Two days later, I received a hard offer. It was much less than I anticipated. I was shocked. They were offering me the bottom of their range for the position after I have had plenty of experience doing the exact same job. In fact, I am terribly over qualified for the job and they know it.

They proposed a 10% pay increase over my present salary. If this job was in my same town, that would be a "no-brainer." However, the actual dollar difference between my current salary and the increase isn't enough to cover my relocation expenses. Um....does that make any fucking sense? Where the hell is the incentive? Oh, sure the benefits are excellent, the allotted time off per year is outstanding, but that shit doesn't pay my rent. I was actually supposed to be completely satisfied with the benefit package and not the salary. Sorry, money talks and bullshit walks.

So, I counter-offered for a measely $1K more. If they balk at that, fuck 'em. This whole salary game is for kids. I am not a kid, I have been around the block several times and even went to the fucking rodeo. Never in my life have I experienced such a complete cluster fuck of an operation. That should also give me insight as to what my future would hold.

Yeah, so here I am bad-mouthing the situation, and come tomorrow, they will probably call my shot on the $1k increase. That would be just my luck. Then I would have to either accept the position or come up with a damn good reason (like the truth: you are too fucking weird to work for) to back out completely.

But, it's like this: it's gone from a win/win scenario to a lose/lose scenario overnight. My head and heart are so twisted up and around themselves that I have no idea which way to turn. Part of me wants to throw in the towel, grab the .45 and call it a life, another part of me wants to take the job in shame and hope for the best.

Fuck it all. Maybe I should just get drunk and try to negotiate tomorrow with a raging hangover.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

WTF?!?!?! This positive attitude is really just overwhelming. I might have to go lie down. You have no idea what the actual working situation may be. This may be the opportunity of a lifetime, or you could be consigning yourself to the 5th level of hell. Either way, it is different from where you are and that is what you have been searching for, correct? Make a go of it. You never know what is around the corner.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home